• Cavacava
    "The task of philosophy is to find the most perfect formulation for truth, perceived in intuition, and to synthesize formulae. These carry conviction by the light which shines out from them, rather than by demonstration or conclusions." – Nicolas Berdyaev, The Meaning of the Creative Act

Ive been a creative artist most of my life and I can't say i recognise the intuitonist and the logical approach as mutually contradictory. Creativity involves pattern-making and pattern recognition. It helps to free up from preconceptions, but then, that requires some learned quality, the ability to discriminate. Only bad artists use no logic at all.

A creative act must be creative about something, similar to how a craftsman produces something functional, beautiful and perhaps even different from what others have produced. The way from conception to inception is through technique, which can be learned patterns, dialogues, narratives, and logical methodology. The craftsman overlays his own style (which is normative) on what he produces.

I think the creative character is expressed in the work. Inspired works stand out "by the light which shines out from them" we reflectively/intuitively sense their beauty physically and mentally. It stops us and enables us to conceive of new possibilities, by illuminating something which was not apparent, which was not there before. The work inspires us.

I think creativity has material and compositional limits, 'syntactical limitations'. By syntactical I mean that, what we know provides the logical, material ground for the structure for what is built onto it, what it sublates. Progress is built on the past. Creativity deals within its own limitations. I am not sure if there have been any 'out of the blue' creative acts, conceptions not somehow related to prior conceptions.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet