• _db
    We already have a thing called "bioethics" that is all about the ethical treatment of biological systems, particularly sentients. This includes population ethics, procreative ethics, interventionist and environmental policy making, test subject ethics, etc. Many scientific institutions have ethical boards that decide whether or not an experiment ought to be carried out.

What I am interested in is the extent to which inquiry (of all kinds) should be constrained.

The way I see it, we have the potential to accomplish a lot of things. We can get to Mars. We can create automatic coffee dispensers. We can think about the divine. We can explore the deep ocean. We can do a lot.

But there are other things we can do, which seem to have an ethical side. We can potentially minimize predation in the wild. We can eliminate world hunger. We can cure cancer. We can develop synthetic meat so we don't have to eat other animals anymore for our satisfaction. There a lot of things that we can do that have this altruistic, ethical aspect to them.

I want to know if you think there is any justification for pursuing the non-ethical routes of inquiry before or instead of the ethical-minded routes.

Sure, we can think about how lit it would be if we could go the Moon again. Or how cool it would be if we found a new dinosaur skeleton. But what does this do for the our ethical values? What does moon dust actually do to help a starving African child? Surely the child couldn't care less about some dust from some rock in space, because they're starving. Surely the antelope couldn't care less about the new dinosaur skeleton, as it's about to become a skeleton itself. None of this matters to them.

And to say that these routes of inquiry matter to us implicitly means that the suffering of other people doesn't matter; i.e. that we place more value on space dust than we do on someone's suffering.

This is precisely why I think non-ethically-minded routes of inquiry are in existence simply due to their entertainment value, and that the ethical decision would be to limit our endeavors in these avenues. We should focus the majority, if not all, of our inquiry into solving problems and setting welfare to a certain level of acceptability.
  • Terrapin Station
    Here are some of the practical things that were brought about or significantly advanced by the space program:

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html
  • wuliheron
    Harmony neither acts nor reasons, it is the lowest possible energy state of the complete system, thus making it more efficient and creative. Without harmony, ethics have no demonstrable meaning.
  • Wayfarer
    I want to know if you think there is any justification for pursuing the non-ethical routes of inquiry before or instead of the ethical-minded routes. — DarthBarracuda

The obvious problem is that nobody can agree on what constitutes 'an ethical progrram'. I mean, if you look at politics at this time in history, what consensus is there on what might be ethical in terms of public policy? For instance, one party believes that provision of health insurance is sound public policy, the other side that it is communism in disguise.

The whole world is up against some huge ethical dilemmas right now. Look at the migration crisis in Europe. There are going to be many such crises in the years to come. I would hope that a consensus can form about ethical ways of dealing with such crises, but then, you have right-wingers saying the UN is a conspiracy to take over the world government, and that climate change is a scam by rent-seeking scientists. I think the prospects for any kind of ethical consensus is not looking that great.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.