• Shawn

Yeah, I'm on Sertraline and it works well for my needs (anxiety and depression). I also take daily Dexamphetamine for ADD-PI. There's also Latuda as a mood stabilizer [.I have or had (don't really know at this point) SZ (just get very paranoid sometimes)], previously Zyprexa; but, the weight gain and diabetogenic (have a predisposition to diabetes) effects were too much. I feel like I could get off the mood stabilizer now; but, am afraid of some rebound effects...

Those two (Sertraline and Dexamphetamine) are probably my mainstay and I will probably stay on them for the remainder of my life. But, I want to give another chance to be drug-free. If that works all the better.
  • Shawn
    The result of just dropping your meds all at once can be extremely harsh.Bitter Crank
    Tell me about it. During my stint with benzodiazepines (alprazolam) I quit immediately due to running out (I'm an idiot for that) and experienced twitching and the worst muscle spasm's imaginable. Benzo's are evil (period). Nothing comparable to the brain zaps from SSRI's.
  • Shawn
    I try. But, thanks for the link. Monty Python FTW.
  • Wosret

I ain't gots no words of wisdom, unfortunately. I have always liked the idea though, of another crucified soul telling you to cheer up.
  • Shawn
    Yea, same here. Kinda at a loss for words as to what to do or say. My first thought would be to move out from my mother's place and just live on my own; but, I like my living arrangement. Then again, I'm too poor to move out but have a gig lined up for me when I finish this semester at my community college (3-4k a month with living and housing covered, not all that bad given it's something I like doing, meaning supplement company wise). Will see how that goes. Also, have an unfinished project I've been working on for a simple plant fertilizer I've been working on.

If things don't work out work/Philosophy degree wise, I think I will eventually bite the bullet and move to Europe to find some living in Germany/Austria/Scandanavian country. Always something I wanted to do and might find happiness there in Deutschland/Vienna/Oslo. I'd be sure to meet Mayor of Simpleton and chill at the pub or such.

If that doesn't work out then I don't know what then. Might go insane and live a monastic life in India or Tibet.

Endless possibilities, toodledo.
  • OglopTo
    I'm also 26 and experienced a rut and the accompanying romantic view of suicide just last year. Looking back, it was an interesting starting point that allowed me to inquire deeper on the nature of the human condition and the 'meaning of it all'.

I've been on antidepressants and or anti-anxiety meds for a long time--30 years, just about.Bitter Crank

:-O

I have always liked the idea though, of another crucified soul telling you to cheer up.Wosret

:D

Find out what is before you make a decision about what seems.Thorongil

Can you give a clue? : )
  • Shawn
    :-OOglopTo

Don't be hatin. They work if you give them enough time. Personally, I like more serotonin than dopamine...
  • WhiskeyWhiskers
    It might be a good idea to forget about philosophy for a while, put the books away and start engaging with life more. The thing about philosophy and mental health is that you can find any elaborate belief system that reinforces your state of mind, healthy or unhealthy. If you're depressed you'll become more pessimistic because you attach 'truths' to what is in fact simply a mood disorder, which ends up masking it and making it harder to confront and deal with in a productive way; you create two problems to manage instead of one. The soul is dyed by the colour of its thoughts, as it goes, and vice versa. Maybe try taking up a new hobby or a sport, meeting new people, or finding other employment/education - something proactive to take your mind off your negative thoughts. People who are depressed with life sometimes need a lifestyle change; it's easy to theorise abstractly about how intrinsically empty life is when you're bored with your life. The two are not a coincidence.

If you feel like your current medication isn't working, speak to your doctor about a medication review. They may be able to suggest other effective options/dosages. Do not, under any circumstances, stop taking professionally prescribed medication without at least consulting your doctor first. The best approach, as your doctor will tell you, is to speak to a therapist and continue with medication.

And please, if you're having thoughts of suicide or of harming yourself, go to a doctor first thing, not an internet forum.
  • Shawn

Thanks for the write-up; but, fat chance I'll be abandoning philosophy, haha. Love lady Sophia too much...

I can recognize a twisted belief when it arises, although that assertion I recognize as somewhat shabby given this thread. I don't have a therapist on hand when I feel like the above, thus me posting here (and it helps for the matter).

Wittgenstein helps me with his therapeutic philosophy of quietism.

If it bothers you I'll be quiet now in accordance with my stoic ethos and Wittgenstianian philosophical upbringing.
  • Shawn
    Could a moderator lock this thread? I would appreciate that greatly.
  • OglopTo
    Sorry if it comes to you like that. What I intended to convey with that reaction to BC's confession is that of interest -- what it feels like to be in such a condition that would merit such long-term anti-depressant dependence.
  • Shawn

Ah, now I understand. Being able to appreciate and thank BitterCrank for his contributions to this forum and his sound advice is something I return often to.
  • Shawn
    I would like to confess. I am weak. Why do I say that?

I have been reading Viktor Frankl's 'Man's Search for Meaning' and am still trying to grasp the amount of suffering he and the concentration camp prisoners must have gone through. He emphasizes the fact that suffering is an inescapable fact of life just as is death. This gives me some perspective on my own problems and they become infinitesimally small relative to what he must have gone through as a Holocaust survivor. I have taken it to heart to keep in mind the insignificant 'problems' I feel and encounter externally and internally. Too long I have been perceiving myself relative to other people. Rather one should set as a reference point the toils and labors Frankel describes in his book. It really is an eye opener to imagine oneself in his situation and how quickly one would lose all hope and fall into absolute desperation. Yet, he retained his dignity and realized that the question about life should not be framed from the first person; but, rather relative to what life demands from us. That is, to bear one's suffering and actual problems with dignity.

I feel that I have learned to stop complaining and value life not selectively; but, totally, whole, and complete with all negatives.

I have also learned that I should project my belief in stoic virtues not only to that which is external (life), yet, also to the emotions that are negative or unsavory by nature.

Too long have I been using stoicism as a shield from life to guard against.

Thank you all again for your input. I won't be making such posts again if ever at all.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.