• _db
    Seriously, I have no clue what the hell feminism is supposed to be these days. You can't get an adequate definition without someone calling bullshit.

What's worse is that there are those feminists that expect everyone else to be feminists with them, and then there's other feminists that believe that non-females are incapable of being feminists.

So what is feminism? A common definition is that of a desire for gender-equality, and yet this is often a ridiculed position within certain feminist circles. If we can come to an agreement as to what feminism is, has feminism accomplished its goals? Is the notion of the Patriarchy a legitimate notion? Is feminism still needed today?

As a dude, what do feminists want me to do exactly?
  • The Great Whatever
    As a dude, what do feminists want me to do exactly?darthbarracuda

Well, my bright-eyed child, you wouldn't like the answer...
  • mcdoodle
    The first pro-feminist thing to do might be to ask a feminist or two. Me I respond to feminism by respect, egalitarianism and gentleness.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Seriously, I have no clue what the hell feminism is supposed to be these days.darthbarracuda

According to my wife, it is what women in her generation attempted to advocate as to gain an even playing field and that girls under that age of 25 have tossed aside in their attempts of become fashion models.

Meow!

GREG
  • WhiskeyWhiskers
    Some say feminism is cancer.
  • Thorongil
    A morally and intellectually bankrupt movement filled with bitter man-hating, Western-civilization-hating children in adult bodies.
  • The Great Whatever
    Okay, Good Man, here are your options:

1) Die

2) Rot in prison

Anyone who tells you something else is wanted of you is lying.

'B...but that can't be true! Not all women!' Uh huh.
  • Deleteduserrc
    I've noticed the same thing about those saps who actually believe that there exists a single woman who doesn't want all men dead or in prison - they're always stuttering. So strange.
  • unenlightened
    I have no clue what the hell feminism is supposed to be these days. You can't get an adequate definition without someone calling bullshit.darthbarracuda

I have no clue what the hell philosophy is supposed to be these days. You can't get an adequate definition without someone calling bullshit.

If this counts as philosophy, I'm calling bullshit.
  • Hogrider

Why would you think that a major movement that could include more than half the population of the world would easily submit to a convenient all encompassing definition for your benefit? A movement moreover whose very success and progress includes, by necessity a change to the very structure of society and of the movement itself. Feminism is not a single group, it is not a political party and is more than a political and social movement; it is all these things and more; an attitude, an approach and a way of thinking.
  • _db
    I've noticed the same thing about those saps who actually believe that there exists a single women who doesn't want all men dead or in prison - they're always stuttering. So strange.csalisbury

Hey, I stuttered and had a lisp when I was younger. I still stutter sometimes. Perhaps it's a sign of an open mind?
  • Deleteduserrc

yeah, I was just having a laugh. TGW's last post seemed pretty ridiculous to me, though maybe he was joking too.
  • BC
    Which feminism are you talking about: First Wave (1830’s – early 1900’s--Suffrage), Second Wave (1960’s-1980’s--workplace issues, sexuality, etc.), or Third Wave (contemporary--fractured)?

In general, feminism is “the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.”
  • The Great Whatever
    Women want men dead and in prison not as a matter of personal preference but as an institutional fact; it's what their livelihood is predicated on, and they work to defend that livelihood.
  • Deleteduserrc

So 'all women want all men dead or in prison' actually means women, in general, labor to maintain a institutional status quo which kills and imprisons men?

For the sake of argument, I'll assume there's some truth to what you're saying. Is the 'kingdom of ends' of this institutional drive the death or imprisonment of all men? That doesn't make any sense to me at all. But I can't come up with any other charitable interpretation of your statement that the only thing all women want of all men is for them to be dead or in prison. (My grandmother, for instance, pays a man to mow her lawn. So I think your assertion needs some revision. Women want all men to either be dead, in prison, or available for lawn mowing.)
  • The Great Whatever
    So they also contract men for manual labor, is the argument?
  • _db
    Out of necessity, not because that's all women think men are good for.
  • Deleteduserrc

Well, the claim that all women want all men dead or in prison is a bit histrionic (I'm still not sure if you're serious) so, to suggest the absurdity of the claim, I pointed out just one other thing women want of men, and even made it one that doesn't require women respecting them in any way- a spoonful of misandry to help the medicine go down.
  • The Great Whatever
    The other thing women want of men being manual labor?
  • The Great Whatever
    Out of necessity, not because that's all women think men are good for.darthbarracuda

What else do women think men are good for?
  • BC
    What else do women think men are good for?The Great Whatever

0ysejldlbe95zubi.jpg
  • Deleteduserrc

There's a whole big blooming bundle of things. It's clearly not the case that all women want all men dead or in prison. Are you trolling?
  • Deleteduserrc

Sex;Getting Groceries;Talking with;Songwriting;Vacationing with;Raising children;Playing Sports;Banking;Grabbing drinks with;Cooking;Camping with;Filmmaking;Sleeping next to;Writing;Emotional Support; Joking with;

idk, a lot of things. Obviously not all women think all men are good for all these things, in the same way not all women think all men are only good for being dead and being in jail.
  • The Great Whatever
    But the latter is a universal structural constant. It is undeniable that women value men as manual laborers to build the world's infrastructure, and as meat shields to die so that they don't; whether they value them as any of these other things is questionable, and that value, if it exists, is as a personal quirk and not as a structural fact.
  • Deleteduserrc
    whether they value them as any of these other things is questionable
    I guess strictly speaking that's true. As men, I guess we can never know for sure. Similarly, as a white person, I can never know whether any black people value anything at all. As a gentile, idk about the jews. Sure they say they value x, & they act like they do, but who knows what their true motivation is??
  • _db
    Why do men need to be good for anything to them? Why are you instrumentalizing the sexes?
  • The Great Whatever
    Do women act like they value men?

Why do men need to be good for anything to them? Why are you instrumentalizing the sexes?darthbarracuda

I never said men need to be anything. You asked what feminism wants out of you as a man, and that is the answer.
  • Deleteduserrc
    Do women act like they value men?
    All the time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.