• Agustino
    Plus, it's a bit rich for leftists to pretend to be great defenders of science when they also claim there are half a dozen genders; or when they claim that science is a tool of the patriarchy; or that reality is a social construction; or that truth, morality, and culture are relative. They literally have no leg to stand on.Thorongil
    >:O but they will show you some "scientific studies" which show that there are a dozen genders :D
  • Sapientia
    I can't get the theme tune from Sister, Sister out of my head. Help. It's been popping into my head for days.
  • Bitter Crank
    95% of gender stuff is malarky Let's keep it simple: male, female, gay, straight.

On the other hand, the confusion isn't altogether new:

Masculine Women, Feminine Men

Written by Edgar Leslie/James V. Monaco, and recorded by Merrit Brunies & His Friar's Inn Orchestra on Okeh 40593, 3/2/26

Note: these are the complete lyrics, from the piano roll version of the song. Not all versions contain all the lyrics.

Hey Hey women are going mad, today
    Hey Hey fellers are just as bad, I'll say
    Go anywhere, just stand and stare
    You'll say they're bugs when you
    look at the clothes they wear

Masculine Women Feminine Men
    which is the rooster which is the hen
    It's hard to tell 'em apart today
    And SAY...
    Sister is busy learning to shave
    Brother just loves his permanent wave
    HEY HEY
    Girls were girls and boys were boys
    when i was a tot,
    Now we don't know who is who or
    even what's what
    Knickers and trousers baggy and wide,
    Nobody knows who's walking inside
    Those Masculine Women Feminine Men

Which is the rooster which is the hen
    And SAY...
    Auntie is smoking, rolling her own,
    Uncle is always buying cologne
    HEY HEY
    You go and give your girl a kiss in the hall
    But instead you find you're kissing
    her brother Paul
    Mama's got a sweater up to her chin,
    Papa's got a girtle holding him in
    Stop, Look, Listen and you'll agree... with me
    Things are not what they used to be... you'll see
    You say hello to Uncle Joe,
    Then look again and you find it's your Aunti Flo
    Which is the rooster which is the hen
    And SAY...
    Wifey is playing billiards and pool,
    Hubby is dressing kiddies for school
    HEY HEY
    Ever since the Prince of Wales in
    dresses was seen,
    What does he intend to be the King or the Queen
    Grandmother buys those tailor-made clothes
    Grandfather tries to smell like a rose
  • aletheist
    I think Platonism and nominalism are both extremes that try to cut reality down into a dualism of sorts, isolating one half of reality from the other, when I think they're actually deeply connected. I think someone like @apokrisis or @aletheist would probably agree with me on this.darthbarracuda

As you know, I recently tried starting a thread on "Extreme Nominalism vs. Extreme Realism," but it did not get very far. My hope was to identify some practical differences between them and how we might go about evaluating which is correct if they were the only two options. Rather than Platonism, I defined extreme realism as the view that reality consists entirely of generals (i.e., there are no real singulars), in order to draw a sharp contrast with extreme nominalism as the view that reality consists entirely of singulars (i.e., there are no real generals).

To address your point here, I suspect that the truth is indeed somewhere in between these two extremes, although I tend to locate it much closer to the realist end of the spectrum. I think that everything is general to some degree, such that there are no absolute singulars, because that would require an object to be determinate in every conceivable respect, including location in space and instant in time. Since I hold that space and time are truly continuous - there are no discrete locations or instants, except as we arbitrarily identify them for specific purposes - this is impossible.

Nevertheless, we obviously can and do distinguish individuals - things (including people) that are determinate in some respects and can only be in one location at a time. In other words, this kind of individuality includes generality, rather than being completely singular, and thus allows for things (including people) to maintain their identity despite undergoing constant changes. This is my own interpretation of what Peirce called synechism, the doctrine that everything is continuous.
  • Moliere
    Interesting read and listen. Not sure what else to say. Seems a novel take on things, which is nice to see.
  • Mongrel
    The left likes to conflate all of these positions, so that anyone who holds to any one of them is branded an irrational science hater, when that's clearly not the case.Thorongil

There are knee-jerkers on either side. And then there are the people who bother to read a book about it.
  • darthbarracuda
    I remember reading this in an SEP article on a Buddhist philosopher, but I can't remember which one.
  • Sapientia
    There are knee-jerkers on either side. And then there are the people who bother to read a book about it.Mongrel

Like the one I referred to twice. And yet, I am on the left. Remarkable. Perhaps it's wrong to make hasty generalisations about the left, eh Thorongil?
  • Thorongil
    Talk about hastiness! I never accused you of anything. You strike me as a modern liberal, not a leftist, and I make a distinction between the two. Leftists aren't capable of humor or sarcasm, but you are, so that's one way I can tell. So relax.
  • Sapientia
    Talk about hastiness! I never accused you of anything. You strike me as a modern liberal, not a leftist, and I make a distinction between the two. Leftists aren't capable of humor or sarcasm, but you are, so that's one way I can tell. So relax.Thorongil

Oh. Well, your criticisms were directed at leftists, and I identify as a leftist - although not as you describe.
  • Baden
    I identify as a leftistSapientia

Me too. But Thorongil's absolutely right, we leftists never do humour/sarcasm. [Insert relevant smiley here].
  • Wosret
    Maybe conservatives just never get sarcasm...
  • Baden

But who are the audience for the multitude of wittily sarcastic conservative comedians then??
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.