• Pneumenon
    I've read a lot of the historical stuff on philosophy of time; McTaggart's famous essay, Kant's remarks in the CPR, Aristotle's question about future propositions, etc. Does anyone know of more recent landmarks in the philosophy of time? I've read van Inwagen's Four Dimensional Objects, but I'm looking for similar stuff. I want to get "caught up" on this area as it currently stands.
  • Pierre-Normand
    I only am acquainted with two works on the topic. Yuval Dolev, Time and Realism: Metaphysical and Antimetaphysical Perspectives, MIT Press, 2007, is fascinating but it's been a while since I've read (most of) it only once, and I can't therefore vouch for it unreservedly. It got me thinking about the thickness of the present (i.e. the idea that the "present time" always has a contextually defined finite temporal extension -- an idea that meshes well with ideas regarding embodied cognition), among other things.

The second work only is tangentially related to the "philosophy of time", proper. It is Sebastian Rödl's Categories of the Temporal: An Inquiry into the Forms of the Finite Intellect, HUP 2012 (originally published as Kategorien des Zeitlichen in 2005). This one is a momentous and a stunning achievement. I am currently going through my third reading. But it's not so much about time as a topic, but rather more about transcendental logic -- the study of temporality (tense, aspect, and generic thought) as a system of forms that characterizes out thoughts as they relate essentially to experience. It does, of course, have profound implications about the nature of time, but also about epistemology, the metaphysics of propositions (i.e. Fregean thoughts), and a variety of other topics.
  • Pneumenon
    Much thanks. Works of the second kind are quite interesting to me, because I'm interested in how philosophy of time "hooks up" with logic and cognition.
  • Streetlight
    Jack Reynolds's Chronopathologies: Time and Politics in Deleuze, Derrida, Analytic Philosophy, and Phenomenology is a well written, synoptic look at various account of time ('analytical', phenomenological and poststurcutalist) that might be of interest if you want a sort of 'broad brush' look at different perspectives on time.

David Couzens Hoy's The Time of Our Lives is also an excellent introduction to various 'continental' takes on time, and it really goes through everything.

Some personal favourites, although they are more targeted/specific works are Martin Hagglund's Radical Atheism and Dying for Time (which elaborate on a roughly Derridian approach to time), and William James's Gilles Deleuze's Philosophy of Time.

P-N's recs might be more in line with what you're after though I think!
  • Postmodern Beatnik
    Here are a few contemporary works, some of which are bleeding edge current:

• Craig Bourne - A Future for Presentism
    • Ross Cameron - The Moving Spotlight: An Essay on Time and Ontology
    • Ned Markosian - "A Defense of Presentism"
    • Trenton Merricks - "Persistence, Parts, and Presentism"
    • Huw Price - Time's Arrow and Archimedes' Point: New Directions for the Physics of Time
    • Arthur Prior - Papers on Time and Tense
    • Ted Sider - Four-Dimensionalism: An Ontology of Persistence and Time

Beyond just looking at these books and articles, though, look at other works by the same authors (and, of course, whatever is in their various bibliographies). Also, the philosophy of time intersects with other issues in metaphysics--specifically, the problem of empty names. Therefore, I would also recommend the book Empty Names, Fiction, and the Puzzles of Non-Existence (edited by Anthony Everett and Thomas Hofweber).
  • Pneumenon
    Right on the button. Just what I needed.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Right on the button. Just what I needed.Pneumenon

I hope this will fuel some discussions here.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.