• Noble Dust
    Just finished The Upanishads

Currently:

The Bhagavad Gita
    Till We Have Faces - C.S. Lewis (re-reading)
    The Man Who Was Thursday - G.K. Chesterton (re-reading)
    Exploring Philosophy - compiled by Steven M. Cahn (Brooklyn stoop find!)
    Dynamics of Faith - Paul Tillich
    The Gay Science - Nietzsche
  • Agustino
    Does anyone have access to this book please? Or do you know where it can be purchased for much cheaper? Please PM me.

https://www.amazon.com/Kierkegaard-Nietzsche-Acceptance-Philosophy-Religion/dp/0312173474

EDIT: Got it, thank you, you know who you are! (Y)
  • Streetlight
    Wendy Brown - Undoing the Demos: Neoliberalism's Stealth Revolution
    Raymond Geuss - Politics and the Imagination (new copy :D )
  • _db
    Weltschmerz by Frederick C. Beiser
  • anonymous66
    Just finished 'Le chair et le sang' (Flesh and Blood) by Francois Mauriac.
    It was a difficult read, but rewarding towards the end. It captured the ambiguity and uncertainty of human relationships really well.

It felt somewhat Existentialist to me. But it was written in 1926, thus pre-dating Existentialism.
    andrewk
    I read Viper's Tangle years ago. It's a great book. Mauriac was friends with several French Existentialists, including Gabriel Marcel.
    Marcel joined the ranks of “Christian existentialists” while working as the drama critic for L’Europe nouvelle. Following a favorable review of a work by François Mauriac, Marcel received a note from the author. “Why are you not one of us?” Mauriac asked. Not long after, Marcel joined the Catholic Church and would remain a defender of faith.
    Mauriac wrote to Marcel in 1929.
    Marcel's philosophy was always preoccupied with the religious dimension of life, but his upbringing had been religiously agnostic (uncertain as to whether one can really know that God exists), and he was not formally a believer. In 1929, however, an open letter from the distinguished French Catholic writer François Mauriac challenged Marcel to admit that his views suggested a belief in God. His subsequent conversion to Catholicism gave a new dimension to certain aspects of his philosophy. But he remained a strikingly independent thinker whose ideas were formed before his conversion—and as such could be regarded as important indicators of certain Godly aspects of the human experience. Marcel became a leader in French Catholic intellectual circles, and his Paris home was the locale for stimulating discussion among leading European intellectuals of all persuasions.
  • anonymous66
    I've been reading Max Jammer's (love that name!) Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology.
  • CasKev
    Man, you guys read some really heavy stuff!

I'm currently reading The Broken Eye, by Brent Weeks. :)
  • Streetlight
    Melinda Cooper - Family Values: Between Neoliberalism and the New Social Conservatism
    Ivan Ascher - Portfolio Society: On the Capitalist Mode of Prediction
  • Pacem
    Jose Ortega Y Gasset - History as a System
  • _db
    David Benatar - The Human Predicament
  • Thorongil
    Is the violation of copyright law part of the human predicament?
  • Thorongil
    I read a short story by Evelyn Waugh recently, which I was pleasantly surprised by. I might explore his other fiction at some point.
  • _db
    I'm not violating copyright law simply by reading what someone else has uploaded. If they hadn't uploaded it, I probably would not have read it.
  • Thorongil
    But is it ethical for you to do so? It seems you likely had to actively search out such a file, as opposed to it falling into your lap.
  • _db
    But is it ethical for you to do so? It seems you likely had to actively search out such a file, as opposed to it falling into your lap.Thorongil

Believe it or not it actually did kinda fall into my lap.
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    Superstructuralism: The Philosophy of Structuralism and Post-Structuralism, by Richard Harland.
  • Thorongil
    Well, I'll be damned. You dun dodged an ethical and a legal quandary, my friend.
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    Gross.Thorongil

I bought it used, so I haven't tasted the pages.
  • _db
    Conquest of Abundance by Paul Feyerabend.
  • _db
    A Thing of This World: A History of Continental Anti-Realism by Lee Braver.
  • Streetlight
    A Thing of This World: A History of Continental Anti-Realism by Lee Braverdarthbarracuda

Wonderful book, even if, ultimately, I disagree with it's thrust! The reading of Davidson alongside Heidegger in particular is a tour de force.

--

Judith Butler - Antigone's Claim: Kinship Between Life and Death
    Loic Wacquant - Punishing the Poor: the Neoliberal Government of Social Insecurity
  • _db
    I agree, it is well-written and very interesting.
  • Streetlight
    Melinda Cooper - Life as Surplus: Biotechnology and Capitalism in the Neoliberal Era
    Nikolas Rose - The Politics of Life Itself: Biomedicine, Power, and Subjectivity in the Twenty-First Century
  • Maw
    SPQR by Mary Beard
    The Silmarillion by Tolkien
  • _db
    The Right and the Good by W. D. Ross.
  • Streetlight
    Peter Brain and Ian Manning - Credit Code Red: How Financial Deregulation and World Instability are Exposing Australia to Economic Catastrophe

Some light, local reading while I wait for my Rose book to arrive : )
  • 0af
    Words (Sartre's autobiography)
    Dissemination (Derrida)
    Interrogating the Real (Zizek)
    Just finished the Sartre, actually. He's very open and likable. Finished first part of Derrida. Really liked the thoughts on Hegel's prefaces (which exiled themselves famously to a space outside philosophy proper). Derrida's prose is thick, of course, but I really like his tone. It's the same tone of his other texts I've look it. Cold but curious. He's also a thinker of form, or of the "content" in form. Zizek is great as usual (one of my favorite personalities), but the book (for me) lost steam after a very powerful beginning. Still, loved that beginning. He does tend to repeat himself, I've noticed. Oh well, maybe a personality is often permutations on a few key insights/revelations.
  • Agustino
    But is it ethical for you to do so? It seems you likely had to actively search out such a file, as opposed to it falling into your lap.Thorongil
    Believe it or not it actually did kinda fall into my lap.darthbarracuda
    >:O

I'm currently reading these books, all at once :-O (a few I've finished already though):

Behold The Spirit by Alan Watts
    Gravity and Grace by Simone Weil
    The Web of Life by Fritjof Capra (reread)
    The Republic by Plato (reread)
    The Real Estate Game by William J. Poorvu
    This paper by Thomas Metzinger (not that I agree with his views, but it was interesting to read)

Mostly philosophy, except that business book by Poorvu.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.