Aden Evens - Sound Ideas: Music, Machines, and Experience
  • Maw
    What Is Populism? by Jan-Werner Muller
  • Saphsin
    Why Is There Philosophy of Mathematics At All? - Ian Hacking
    Why Americans Hate the Media and How It Matters - Jonathan Ladd
  • Baden
    Robert McKee - Story

What makes a Hollywood baby more than its bathwater? Roll up, roll up...
  • Streetlight
    Catherine Mills - The Philosophy of Agamben
    Benjamin Noys - The Persistence of the Negative: A Critique of Contemporary Continental Theory (rereading)
  • mcdoodle
    Baden, I used to teach scriptwriting in a department using the McKee model. It's like all good writing structures in my opinion: great to learn as long as you don't finally become a prisoner of it. Are you writing scripts yourself?
  • Pierre-Normand
    Scott Sehon, Free Will and Action Explanation: A Non-Causal, Compatibilist Account, OUP, 2016

George Ellis, How Can Physics Underlie the Mind: Top-Down Causation in the Human Context, Springer-Verlag, 2016

Andrea Kern, Sources of Knowledge: On the Concept of a Rational Capacity for Knowledge, HUP, 2017
  • Baden
    Baden, I used to teach scriptwriting in a department using the McKee model. It's like all good writing structures in my opinion: great to learn as long as you don't finally become a prisoner of itmcdoodle

Yeah, I found it very interesting looking at movies through his theoretical lens. Also, helped me understand some things about my own writing in general.

Are you writing scripts yourself?mcdoodle

Not yet, but thinking about it.
  • Streetlight
    Daniel Heller-Roazen - The Fifth Hammer: Pythagoras and the Disharmony of the World
  • Maw
    The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert
    The Second Treatise of Government by John Locke
  • Shawn
    I have a decent memory. So what I do is read my memories. I'm too lazy to read books. If only I had photographic or eidetic memory I could read my memories, like a machine.
  • Streetlight
    Edward Campbell - Music After Deleuze
    Alessandro Ferrara - The Force of the Example: Explorations in the Paradigm of Judgement
    Bonnie Honig - Emergency Politics: Paradox, Law, Democracy
  • protectedplastic
    Democracy in America - Alexis De Tocqueville
  • Streetlight
    Eleni Ikoniadou - The Rhythmic Event: Art, Media, and the Sonic
    Paul Patton - Deleuze and the Political
    Hannah Arendt - The Life of the Mind
  • _db
    Commonsense Consequentialism: Wherein Morality Meets Rationality by Douglas Portmore
  • protectedplastic
    All of Edgar Allen Poe's tales of horror and mystery.
  • Shawn
    The Reasons of Love, Harry G. Frankfurt

Frankfurt is one of my favorite philosophers as of recent. He presents a compelling case for treating love and more importantly self-love as the highest good.
  • Maw
    Peeling Potatoes or Grinding Lenses: Spinoza and Young Wittgenstein Converse on Immanence and Its Logic by Aristides Baltas
  • Deleteduserrc
    Foam (Spheres vol. 3) - Peter Sloterdijk
    Underworld - Don Delillo
  • Streetlight
    Linda Zerilli - A Democratic Theory of Judgement
  • The Great Whatever
    Titus Groan - Mervyn Peake
    Mistress of Mistresses - E. R. Eddison
    Lud-in-the-Mist - Hope Mirrlees
  • Baden
    In Between the Sheets - Ian McEwan
    That Glimpse of Truth (Short Story Collection) - David Miller (Ed)

Both great - if you like short stories - the second in particular.
  • andrewk
    Just finished 'Le chair et le sang' (Flesh and Blood) by Francois Mauriac.
    It was a difficult read, but rewarding towards the end. It captured the ambiguity and uncertainty of human relationships really well.

It felt somewhat Existentialist to me. But it was written in 1926, thus pre-dating Existentialism.
  • quine
    Sketch for a Systematic Metaphysics - D. M. Armstrong
    Analyticity - Cory Juhl & Eric Loomis
  • Baden
    Griftopia - Matt Taibbi

“To sum it all up, the [Ayn] Rand belief system looks like this:
    1. Facts are facts: things can be absolutely right or absolutely wrong, as determined by reason.
    2. According to my reasoning, I am absolutely right.
    3. Charity is immoral.
    4. Pay for your own fucking schools.”

“The new America...is fast becoming a vast ghetto in which all of us, conservatives and progressives, are being bled dry by a relatively tiny oligarchy of extremely clever financial criminals and their castrato henchmen in government, whose job is to be good actors on TV and put on a good show.”

Informative. Depressing.
  • Hanover
    3. Charity is immoral.Baden
    What the good Ms. Rand said was that charity wasn't a moral virtue, not that it was immoral. That is, you are under no obligation to give, and you're not considered good if you do give, but you are not actually immoral if you give. http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/charity.html

See what you did here? You started a conversation about Ayn Rand, just like she wanted you to.
  • Baden

Meh, she can't complain, she's dead.
  • Hanover
    She lives on through the seeds of kindness she sowed during her life.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.