• bert1
    thanks! I'll try the short stories i think. Crash never appealed to me a concept.
  • javi2541997
    The Tunnel, Ernesto Sábato.javi2541997

10/10.Excellent. I really enjoyed this book. Sábato had a great talent at developing the psychological behaviour of the characters. Juan Pablo Castel is the name of the main character. He is an artist, and well... he suffers from his own fantasies, dreams and the heavy sense of hopelessness.

Currently reading: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, James Joyce.
  • Lionino
    Sonetos by Camões, in both French and original Portuguese. Both are hard.
    Then I will read Pero Vaz de Caminha's letter to King Manuel.
  • Pierre-Normand
    In memory of Vernor Vinge, d. 2024 I'm rereading

• A Fire Upon The Deep
    180 Proof

Have you also read A Deepness in the Sky?

I had greatly enjoyed A Fire Upon the Deep and then I had enjoyed A Deepness in the Sky even more. Now that I'm older the neoliberal/libertarian overtones in both book would annoy me but I was politically naïve when I read those books and they had struck me only as being anti-totalitarian. Purely from the sci-fi/narrative perspective, Vinge's novels are outstanding. The Peace War is pretty good as well.
  • 180 Proof
    Have you also read A Deepness in the Sky?Pierre-Normand
    Yes. I usually reread only the first book (or, alternately, just one other book) in a series. I'll probably reread Peace War too. Overall Vinge's novels are quite good, especially his more speculative ideas.
  • javi2541997
    Sonetos by Camões, in both French and original Portuguese. Both are hard.Lionino

A Portuguese poet of the Renaissance. Interesting. I think he also wrote in Castilian.
  • Lionino
    You will tell me you don't know who the writer of The Lusíadas is? :sweat:
  • Count Timothy von Icarus

It's quite good. It's nice to dip into from time to time. You have to really sit with each aphorism. I find it similar to my Rumi's collected works in a lot of ways — a lot of short, deep poems.

I am not totally sure where they come from though. I have read The Book of Divine Consolation and most of the Penguin collected works, and it seems like the aphorisms are being pulled from various places. This is good and bad. On the one hand, I really do appreciate them this way. On the other, you do lose some context.

I've seen New Age Eckharts, Perennialist Eckharts, Gnostic Eckharts, and even Buddhist Eckharts in many cases. But I do think these take him out of context. The sermons all focus on the Bible. Often the aphorisms don't seem to be trying to challenge Christian orthodoxy at all, but rather they try to get you to look at their simple principles in a new and deeper light. So, there is a sense where it seems easy for people to "invent their own Eckhart," if this is all they read. And that would be a shame because he is a pretty unique thinker, and in many ways a philosopher with a deep systematic view alongside being a mystagogue.
  • Pantagruel
    Tales and Fantasies
    by Robert Louis Stevenson
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.