• Streetlight
    Pt I, Stating

Examples are very cool things. They exhibit a number of properties that both challenge our received ways of thinking about things, and make us think differently about them. For one, the example typically does not obey the logic of the general and the particular: that is, examples are never simply an instance (or 'token') or a universal type or type, but on the contrary, are usually constitutive of the rule or type of which they are said to be examples 'of'. Typically, to give an example of a rule is to define that rule, by means of an example.

To speak of the constitutive role of the example is to speak of the immanence of the example to the rule: the example is not simply an indifferent element to be subsumed under an equally indifferent universality; on the contrary, there is an intimate connection between example and rule in which the one relies on the other for it's being and vice versa. Alessandro Ferrara, speaking of Kant's 'reflective judgement' (which operates according to the logic of the example), puts it like this: "Exemplary validity is best understood in terms of creating an example rather than applying an example — a difference that is captured by Kant’s distinction, recalled by Arendt, between “subsuming under a concept” and “bringing to a concept" (Ferrara, The Force of the Example).

This, in turn, follows from the fact that "the cogency of the example, differently than the cogency of a law or principle, is entirely self-referential, immanent to the subject matter." Here, then, we have two ways in which the example breaks the logic of the universal-particular: with respect to it's novelty, and with respect to it's immanence. Giorgio Agamben, another philosopher of exemplarity, draws the conclusion that the sheer existence of examples entails a "total abandonment of the particular-general couple as the model of logical inference." As he writes, "The rule... is not a generality preexisting the singular cases and applicable to them, nor is it something resulting from the exhaustive enumeration of specific cases. Instead, it is the exhibition alone of the paradigmatic case that constitutes a rule, which as such cannot be applied or stated" (Agamben, The Signature of All Things).

All of this is one way to make of sense Wittgenstein's enigmatic comment regarding the 'meter rule in Paris', for which, according to the famous line, "one can state neither that it is 1 metre long, nor that it is not 1 metre long." (Philosophical Investigations). The paradigmatic case of the meter rule - the meter rule in Paris by which all 'meters' (used to be) measured by - because constitutive of the 'meter rule' - cannot itself be understood to be either a meter long, nor not a meter long. Instead, what is at stake in the example is not quite a 'stating', but a showing -

Pt II,Showing

Agamben, deepening these reflections, notes that the particularity of the example derives from the way in which an example 'shows it's own signifying' or 'exhibits its own singularity' in a way that a particular does not. He gives the example(!) of the phrase "I love you", which, when taken as an example of a performative speech act, "cannot be understood as in a normal context and yet still must be treated as a real utterance in order for it to be taken as an example." In other words, to give the example, 'I love you' is not to state that I love you, but to put it to another use that does not, for all that, make it mean something else altogether.

The example, in other words, belongs properly to the sphere of para-dox: "What the example shows is its belonging to a class, but for this very reason the example steps out of its class in the very moment in which it exhibits and delimits it ... The example is truly a paradigm in the etymological sense: it is what is "shown beside," and a class can contain every thing except its own paradigm." (Agamben, Homo Sacer). Like Wittgenstein's meter rule, and like the barber who only shaves all those who do not shave themselves, the example or the paradigm occupies an 'undecidable' place within the general-particular schema: to the degree that the example is constitutive of the universal, it is neither just another particular, nor is it wholly outside of any such schema.

Agamben: "It is thus impossible to clearly separate an example's paradigmatic character - its standing for all cases - from the fact that it is one case among others.... The third is this indiscernibility, and if one tries to grasp it by means of bivalent caesurae, one necessarily runs up against an undecidable" (Signature). Or: the example is a stating that is at the same time a showing, one that does not, for all that, lack sense.

Ferrara, whom we spoke of earlier, utilities this paradoxical character of the example to ground a new kind of ethics, and subsequently, a new kind of politics - an ethics of exemplarity. As he notes, examples short-circuit the usual gap between is and ought, precisely because an example is precisely that which is as it should be. The exemplary "realizes and exhibits between the order of its own reality and the order of the normativity to which it responds." The exemplary offers a manner in which to think the 'force' of ethical normativity which does not bind because of indifferent, trans-contextual rule-application, but because it has the ability to compel (without the force of logical necessity). Without going into it too deep, it's these kinds of 'applications' which provide another reason why the exemplary is such an interesting category to think through.
  • Wosret
    I'm highly sympathetic to this view, I think that most enticingly, it creates the largest window for novelty and innovation. The draw back is that without truly universal principles, we can only account for local cogency, sensibility (window so big, everything else falls out).

Haven't read all of these newfangled moderns, but I liked how Madoka Magica dealt with it. General principles can be novel, and are generated with particular exemplars, but the principle then retroactively effects the past as if it were present all along, and projects into the future.

Interestingly enough also, this is a theological problem too. One cannot account for a universal savior that shows up at a particular time and place, unless in some sense this reverberates throughout the past, as well as the future. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell

Problems with it is that if we want to keep things at the level of the apparent, or physical, then to become exemplary is to follow a certain path, as it were, to reproduce material circumstances, and conditions. The preciser the conditions, the closer the result.

The fusion of is and ought (I like that) is still really reduced to more is, than ought. As unless something were the static maximum, rather than a surpassable, or point along on a path with more road, then it still is just an is, and the ought in the sense of what is better cannot be shown, until it is literally shown, and then it too, falls to the "is" bin immediately.

Not nearly as well read as you are, just giving my cobbled together perspective, and if it seems like I'm just repeating things I've heard nonsensically like an infant baby person, then just cut me some slack. Gotta start somewhere.
  • Streetlight
    Haven't read all of these newfangled moderns, but I liked how Madoka Magica dealt with it. General principles can be novel, and are generated with particular exemplars, but the principle then retroactively effects the past as if it were present all along, and projects into the future. — Wosret

Ha, well I haven't watched MM, but I think this temporal consideration is exactly right: generalities are always generated, and whatever force they exert is always derivative of more primordial processes that underlie their operation. Problems arise when these 'generality-effects' are mistaken for causes. It's also this issue that underlies the famous 'rule following paradox' in Witty's PI, in which "no course of action could be determined by a rule, because every course of action can be brought into accord with the rule." That is, every singularity can be made out to be in accordance to a generality said to co-arise with it.

Problems with it is that if we want to keep things at the level of the apparent, or physical, then to become exemplary is to follow a certain path, as it were, to reproduce material circumstances, and conditions. The preciser the conditions, the closer the result.

I don't think this is exactly the case; in fact, I'd say that thinking it terms of the exemplary is what allows to escape exactly this sort of thinking. On an intuitive level, to say that Jimmy is an exemplary student is not to ask that every student in the class 'become Jimmy'; at issue is not a question of identity: it is to ask that the other students emulate a certain 'manner' of being. This is why, in the history of philosophy, the exemplary has always belonged to the sphere of the aesthetic, which itself is defined by it's inability to be thought of in terms of identities which are subsumed under general rules. Here is Kant from the Critique of Judgement, speaking about the kind of necessity involved in what he calls 'aesthetic judgement':

"As a necessity that is thought in an aesthetic judgment, it can only be called exemplary , i.e., a necessity of the assent of all to a judgment that is regarded as an example of a universal rule that one cannot produce." Thus for Agamben, the particular kind of logic proper to the exemplary is not logic per se, but the ana-logical: "The domain of this discourse is not logic but analogy ... And the analogon it [the exemplar] generates is neither particular nor general. Hence its special value." This, in turn is important because the analogous operates not on the basis of identity (X=X), but similarity. Hence - the class ought to be similar to Jimmy, without 'becoming Jimmy'.

Turning back to ethics, the similar, as a category, has the precise advantage of never simply 'settling' into the identical: it sustains the tension between the is and the ought which it instantiates, as it were. Hence also a reformation of ethics in terms of it's original meaning as 'ethos': custom, habit or dwelling place. The ethical, in it's proper meaning, has never been some sort of sphere separate from, and set over and against the facticity of 'that which is'; rather, ethos has always been a way of being, a manner of dwelling, which is directly 'ethical' from the very start.
  • Wosret
    I really like this angle, which I haven't pursued in depth, and need to. I think that this is a fruitful angle, that I'm going to explore more.

Thanks for your characteristicly exemplary posts.
  • Streetlight
    Heh, admittedly it's kind of obscure, and not the easiest of topic to really follow up on. But the cool thing - I think - is that something as 'pedestrian' as the example can have massive ramifications for our normal habits of thought.
  • Wosret
    All obscure, arcane, and complex is it? That's usually the claim. If it's any good, it's straightforward. If it's ineffably enchantingly dumbfoundingedly mystical, then it's usually shit, or just more and more and more words to hide up an inability to square some circle.

Yeah, which is why movie "examples" of the way the world is has made us all idiots. The cooler thing is how examples are just that, particular examples of members of a category, but the experience of an exemplar is an experience of the universal itself instantiated in the particular. It's not merely an example of a car, it's an example of how cars ought to be. It's a combination of an analytic judgment, and an aesthetic judgment. The former being on the determination of what something is, and the latter a judgment of beauty or aesthetic that this is precisely as it ought to be. The exemplary is the only example of a judgment that it can be said that the world as it is, and as it should be, are one and the same.
  • Banno
    Excellent thread!

In other words, to give the example, 'I love you' is not to state that I love you, but to put it to another use that does not, for all that, make it mean something else altogether.StreetlightX

So we can use "I love you" in two ways; in one, it proclaims my devotion; in the other, it show how to proclaim one's devotion. It's a duck; it's a rabbit.

No?
  • Ruminant
    I can't remember the conclusion of that thread (if there was one) but doesn't go something like: "It's a duck. It's a rabbit." Seems the "then" is what projects the temporality.
  • Streetlight
    Yes, but that's not quite what's at issue here, which turns on the 'qualitative' difference that examples exhibit compared to ordinary instances of language, as it were. In particular, the issue is about the 'undecidable' or anomalous status of the example with respect to the class of which it is said to be an example 'of'. On the one hand, examples belong - in the set theoretic sense - to the class among which they are one instance of. On the other hand, the example defines the very class which it is supposed to be subsumed under.

Agamben puts it thus: "the example is characterized by the fact that it holds for all cases of the same type, and, at the same time, it is included among these. It is one singularity among others, which, however, stands for each of them and serves for all. On one hand, every example is treated in effect as a real particular case; but on the other, it remains understood that it cannot serve in its particularity ... Neither particular nor universal, the example is a singular object that presents itself as such, that shows its singularity." (The Coming Community). In other words, examples have a self-referential function.

Hence, you might recognize in the example the same status that Russell's barber has: he only cuts the hair of all those who do not cut their own hair: but does he cut his own hair? This same indeterminate status holds, mutandis mutatis, for the example: does it, or does it not belong as an instance of the type that it seemingly belongs to? This undecidable status - like Wittgenstein's meter rule - is itself symptomatic of the fact that examples 'qualitatively' differ from other instances of language use by virtue of the fact that they draw attention to their own exemplarity, their own singularity that cannot be properly subsumed indifferently under a general rule or type. It's this self-referentiality that threatens any regime of formalization (which is why Russell - and modern logicians today - try so hard to excise self-referentiality from logic - a philosophical disaster in every possible way).

Without attending to this specificity of the example - if the example here is treated as just another instance of language use - duck/rabbit, it's all the same - the point is missed. Which is not to say that it isn't just another instance of language use - only that there's more going on here than just that.
  • Janus
    On the other hand, the example defines the very class which it is supposed to be subsumed under.StreetlightX

I am not getting the point of this, I think. For example, you and I are examples of human beings (presumably) but we do not define the class 'human beings'. Examples of a class can only be picked out once we know how the class is defined, no?

I can see that perhaps the class can only be defined in the first place by showing some number of examples sufficient to enable a novice to intuit a defining commonality that cannot perhaps itself be precisely defined.

I am doubtful whether this is the angle you are interested in though.
  • Streetlight
    Examples of a class can only be picked out once we know how the class is defined, no?John

The issue is to pay attention to the generation of classes, which always takes place by reference to a paradigmatic instance which is then subsequently taken to be a particular among others. The point of the thread is to pay attention to this moment 'before' the singular has 'sedimented' into the particular, and to consider what kind of philosophical consequences follow if we consider singularity 'outside' of any general-particular schema. On this view, the understanding according to which 'examples of a class can only be picked out once we know how the class is defined' is a kind of ex post facto view: not 'false', per se, but misleading in certain lights.
  • Janus

This then leads me to think of the tension in the relation between two ideas: the idea of essence, and Wittgenstein's idea of "family resemblances". An example is an exemplar of the 'essence' of a class in virtue of unique similarities to other examples. However there is no essence that can be identified as being exactly the same in all cases.

Again, though, I'm probably off track. I'd probably need to read the relevant texts. I figured why not share the thought it raised for me anyway. :)
  • Banno
    Is the metre rule in Paris a metre long? Yes; and, no. Is it a duck or a rabbit? Yes; and, no.

...which always takes place by reference to a paradigmatic instance which is then subsequently taken to be a particular among others.StreetlightX

Does it? One instance is insufficient to establish the rule. The paradigmatic case is selected post hoc. The paradigmatic metre rule established after the metre had been in use for years; "I love you" after English had been used for centuries.

SO I am not convinced there is an issue here.
  • Streetlight
    At the level of sheer textual fidelity, the line is explicitly that the meter rule is neither a mater long nor not a meter long. Neither/nor, not both/and. Second, it's simply trivially wrong to say that an instance is insufficient to establish a rule. Third, that something has been around for a while speaks to nothing about the issue of the general and the particular, so I do not see the relevance of what you've said.
  • Marchesk
    I don't know that this works when it comes to physics, though, with it's universal laws, constants and particles and forces. You can't point to one electron as an example that defines the rule. They all have the same charge, mass, etc (that is what it is to be an electron).
  • apokrisis
    An exemplar is simply an ideal instance. The general particular. It is the essential example in having the least that is accidental about it, and so the most that reflects necessity.

If we were illustrating a kid's reader to give the ideal notion of a cat, it wouldn't be three legged or suffering other accidents of fate.

And more sophisticated notions of metaphysics would view the general and the particular as being a matter of constraints and freedoms.

Now it becomes more clear that the exemplary is defined by a limit on the accidental. Constraints don't have to "generate the essential". They only need to limit the accidents or degrees of freedom in sufficient fashion (and constraints always embody some purpose, hence sufficiency follows directly from that satisfaction).

So we wind up with exemplars as a least action or symmetry breaking principle. They illustrate the shortest distance to the thing in question because there are the least accidental details encountered along the way.
  • Wosret
    It's interesting and relevant for art, but not really metaphysics. See, the aesthetic element to the judgment means that it's still an evaluation, rather than the identification of some attribute, or quality. It's not purely analytical. Kant suggested that for this reason, the universality that the judgment makes claim to is not about the object but the judgment itself. It is the judgment itself which is exemplary.

Now, we can say that this is because the judgment is in fact better in the way it recognizes, or distinguishes accidental from necessary features. Is it then true that anything accidental is beautiful though? Analysis still demands some attribute, feature or rule that can only be itself excused through another general principle or rule that accounts for exceptions.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Agamben puts it thus: "the example is characterized by the fact that it holds for all cases of the same type, and, at the same time, it is included among these. It is one singularity among others, which, however, stands for each of them and serves for all. On one hand, every example is treated in effect as a real particular case; but on the other, it remains understood that it cannot serve in its particularity ... Neither particular nor universal, the example is a singular object that presents itself as such, that shows its singularity." (The Coming Community). In other words, examples have a self-referential function.StreetlightX

The problem though, with "the example", is that it is never a perfect representation of the category, it too has accidentals which make it nothing more than a particular instance, in essence. So we get 'the metre" paradox which Wittgenstein refers to. The metre rule cannot be said to be a metre, in the sense of an actual instance of the general, i.e. real existence of the rule. But without that actual instance of the general, as the example, nothing is a metre, so at the same time, it "must" be said to be a metre.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.