• Shawn

Oh, I've seen that 2 times already.

My Stoic skills are good, much more training needed.
  • Agustino
    It's very powerful no? :D
    Especially Part II 0:30 onwards.
  • Agustino
    I mean that video almost gives you a hardon as @Heister Eggcart would say >:O
  • Shawn

Yes, I surprised the professor didn't get and give a collective heart attack for such a lecture on Stoicism.
  • Shawn
    Yeah, just watching this again.

I need to sear his passion for Stoicism into my mind again.
  • Buxtebuddha
    That guy gets quite a bit wrong. Who is he, exactly? And why didn't he piss before he got up there?
  • Agustino
    That guy gets quite a bit wrongHeister Eggcart
    Not really... What does he get so wrong?

Who is he, exactly?Heister Eggcart
    A big mafia don 8-) - his name is Professor Michael Sugrue :D
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Then, I'm not many people then. This is funny, people are arguing that I should indulge in self pleasure. Self-pleasure is evil.Question

Self-pleasure is no evil my friend. What do you find evil about self-pleasure?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Try forgiving yourself more and do more of what makes you happy.Bitter Crank

Something we could all do a little bit more of. (L)
  • bert1
    I feel so guilty after I know myself that I have to do it again for punishment. After a while it becomes a very slippery slope.
  • Michael
    Way to bring down the tone, bert1.

:p
  • Shawn

Maybe it's not evil, maybe it is. But, it's not good in-of itself and doesn't lead to virtue.
  • Shawn

Show us that we're all full of shit and hiding our desires behind a veil of rationalizations.

Let the orgy commence.
  • Buxtebuddha
    Not really... What does he get so wrong?Agustino

It's all too common for scholars to exaggerate the power of the Roman Emperor, especially after Domitian. To suggest that Aurelius was unprecedented is to peddle gold-leafed shit.
  • Agustino
    But morally speaking he was. He was the paragon of virtue amongst the Roman Emperors
  • Buxtebuddha
    Just because he wrote philosophy?
  • god must be atheist
    Most of these fantasies are playful in nature, and not serious anyways. It's no problem if it ain't serious, and it's kinda foolish to treat a non-serious occurrence as seriousAgustino

Not mine. I had serious crushes on my Russian teacher, on my math teacher in another high school, on my math teacher at college. I was too young at these times in high school to capitalize on the opportunities, and the college professor crush came at an age when people had already been keenly aware of the career-crushing effect of affairs with students.

So I went out into the community and sexed with women typically 20 years older than myself.

I was reluctant at first, but my psychiatrist at the time (yeah, right) advised me that I should not reject these opportunities due to the forbidding nature of some prefabricated cultural expectations. So I did not, after a point in time.

I had a ball with older, actually very good looking women (some of them were movie-star quality in looks; others were not) until my heart disease and diabetes set in due to a lifetime of smoking and being overweight; then I was forced by natural effects to abandon all sexual contact.

The thing with sexual and other love contacts is, that you hone your skills with a certain demographic, and the more skilled you are and more successful in your endeavours, the more you are stuck in having sex with people within the same demographic group. Sure I like young women's looks, sure I'd like to bone them, always have; but my social conditioning sorta kept me in the same old beaten path, dating older women.
  • Mac
    Not if she's 18
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.