• Svizec
    I'm looking for a book that I (tried) to read about 20 years ago. I don't remember much about it. I know, doesn't sound too optimistic.

It's a book with some of the hardest logical questions I've seen, at least they looked hard to me at that time. What made it harder was that most of the problems were made more complex by introducing philosophical twists. Every problem had its own chapter and it usually challenged the reader to try and find the answer, before it crushed whatever you thought was the obvious answer. Sometimes it upgraded the problems from previous chapters with additional requirements and twists in the following chapters and sometimes it introduced new ones.

I don't think I really remember much more than that, I was too young. Any help appreciated.

• Pierre-Normand
    Were the questions distinctively mathematical/logical? Was there some scientific or philosophical theme that you remember (e.g. paradoxes of physics, ethical dilemmas... ?
  • Svizec
    Very good question.

The problems were not ethical dilemmas or paradoxes of physics. Instead they were presented in a way that we often see these puzzle books presenting problems. I might be wrong (I was 13-14 at that time, probably picked wrong book from the local library), but I seem to remember a problem involving envelopes and mail maybe?

I believe that the problems were ultimately analysed from perspective of philosophical logic. Recently I've been interested in this subject a bit more and this book came to my mind.

It's also worth mentioning, that the book was probably translated into many languages, including some languages spoken by relatively small number of people. That leads me to believe that the title is not very obscure.
  • Svizec
    Yes, I am almost certain that's it. Thank you.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.